A New Life For a Historic Warehouse Complex
Formal House is an historic warehouse complex in the Cheltenham business quarter and is home to several businesses including restaurants and shops. Its retro style has also made it a hub for Cheltenham's key media companies. These businesses have remained trading while Barnwood General Works undertakes a 48 week construction of a four storey Atrium within the existing constrained courtyard.
Works have included stripping out, excavating down within the existing courtyard to basement level, designing and installing a pumped drainage system to serve the basement area, forming new offices in the basement area, installing a new glass curtain walling to form the new four storey Atrium, joinery roofing, fit out & M&E.
Day to day site safety management ensures that:
- Existing business remain operational within Formal House and within St George's Place
- Business employees are segregated from construction works
- Planning of noisy operations to suit the local businesses and restaurants
- Site activities are clearly communicated to existing businesses
- Road closures for large delivery and waste management are planned and communicated to the local businesses
- Fire routes and plans for the existing businesses are not compromised
- Any problems are communicated and resolved with the local businesses in a professional manner.
The site team is strongly supported by back office personnel, and Barnwood General Works has a great reputation for the whole team pulling together to ensure that the sites work safely and professionally deliver quality products to its customers.
Client: Pearlbury Properties C/o Formal Investments
Value: £1 million
Form of Contract: IFC 2011 Intermediate Building Contract with Contractor's Design
Architect: Roberts Limbrick
Structural Engineer: Simpson Associates
Start Date: 13 January 2017
Completion Date: 30 November 2017